Friday, December 13, 2013

A Quick Drive into the Hills Around Chiang Mai

Thailand is Fun (And Different)

I took advantage of a quiet Saturday morning to drive out into the Thai countryside. It is a popular road that winds up and around some of the mountains that hang on the edge of Chiang Mai.

thailand countryside
Stopped on the side of the road to snap this picture
Some people take motorcycles, racing up and down the winding hills, while other highly motivated individuals challenge themselves by riding a bicycle. I just went on my moped, maintaining a leisurely pace and enjoying the the many interesting sights along the way.

thai cafe
A fun coffee shop along the road
It was incredibly refreshing, and not just because I was out of the city's usual dust and car fumes, but just taking the time to explore and enjoy some beautiful mountain views helped me remember how blessed I am to be able to live in Thailand and do what I do.

The road flows up and down over the hills, with jungle vegetation all around. At times you are riding though little valleys with houses and small shops along the road, and then you ride up another hill, and get a great view of other hills and quaint valleys tucked around. It seems like the perfect place for anyone who needs a few days of absolute peace and quite.

On the way back I also stopped at my new favorite coffee shop and happily sipped a latte, warming myself up from the ride (apparently it's winter here, and is getting down into the low 70's (sometimes 60's) at night and in the early morning!).

I've been reading some books lately on injustice which have helped me be reminded of how important it is to be involved.

Coffee shop thailand
A fun little coffee shop with great Latte's
One of the books, called The Exodus Road, gives a wife's perspective of what it is like for her husband to do undercover investigations into human trafficking in many of the countries in Southeast Asia. This book details the true events and situations that exist right now, and how some people are working to combat injustice, one victim at a time. I highly recommend it if you are willing to be challenged. If you do buy it and read it, I would enjoy talking about your thoughts, so send me an email or leave a comment.

I didn't quite expect to find Thailand so full of adventures and fun new things, but I'm trying to enjoy them all. I am thankful to be able to live in Thailand, and help fight injustice in the ways I can. But you don't have to go to Thailand to do that, you can fight for justice wherever you are.

I want to encourage everyone to take more opportunities to enjoy the fun and interesting things around you. And if you can't find any new or exciting things, why not move over to Thailand, where you will find plenty.

Thanks for stopping by and reading, and thanks everyone who made this adventure in Thailand possible. There are certainly challenges, but there are also so many things to enjoy and thank God for. I'll be sharing more about Stone in Shoe, the company I'm helping start, in the near future.

Leave a comment with any questions or thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend a day! Adventures are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a ton of fun. Wish you guys could come for a visit or something!

      Delete